Sources of support for parents
Please find on this page useful phone numbers or contact details to help and support you with benefits, housing, food banks, holiday clubs etc
Guidance on Talking to Children About the Russia - Ukraine Situation
Please see following links which we hope you might find useful :
Advice for children and young people if they are upset by the news – provided by Newsround.
‘A delicate balance’: experts’ tips on dealing with Ukraine anxiety in children | Children | The Guardian
DIgital On-Line Safety
For information on the suitability of apps, online games, entertainment etc. visit www.commonsensemedia.org
Foodbank Information in Tameside
Mossley Foodbank : Referrals can be made through school, social workers, job centres, G.Ps, support workers, housing. People can come directly to the Foodbank if they are struggling for a referral. Referrals can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Via facebook page/group or messenger. Thursday 10am-12pm Mossley Food in Hand Youth Base, The Rowands, Micklehurst, OL5 9DR email@example.com https://www.facebook.com/pages/categor y/Community-Organization/Mossley-FoodBank-475497572859808/
Tameside East Food Bank, Ashton : Trussell Trust- Foodbank Voucher. Thursday 1-3pm New Life Church Hall Street off Stamford Street Ashton-under-Lyne OL6 6SD 0161 339 7924 07396507213 firstname.lastname@example.org tamesideeast.foodbank.org.uk
Tameside East Foodbank Stalybridge : Trussell Trust- Foodbank Voucher Monday 11am to 1pm Tuesday 11am to 1pm St Matthews, Dean St, Stalybridge (between the library and market hall), SK15 2JD 07396507213 email@example.com tamesideeast.foodbank.org.uk
The Energy and Money Saving Service
LEAP is a free service that is helping people keep warm and reduce their energy bills without costing them any money. Services include, small energy saving measures – such as LED lights, draught proofing, cylinder jackets etc for free, help residents identify whether they are on the correct benefits, check tariffs, help residents apply for help for white goods if they need replacing, offer fuel vouchers etc. Also there is funding for boiler replacements through this scheme too (if broken).
Tameside Early Help Pathways and Other Support Services
Tameside Council’s Early Help, Early Years and Neighbourhoods team has pooled a wealth of resources onto the website so that information can be found quickly and simply. The user-friendly website was created in response from professionals and service users asking for a central place to find all the relevant and reliable support they need.
While useful at any time, it’s particularly beneficial during the coronavirus restrictions when parents might need more support. It’s also been adjusted to include all the latest support available despite service changes caused by Covid-19. The parents/carers & Young Persons section includes links to accessing Early Help, Children’s Centres, Grow in Tameside, Young Carers support, a handy Service Information Directory and much more.
Mental health and wellbeing:
has links to various agencies which will support with mental health and wellbeing:
- Tameside Oldham and Glossop Mind - Young Peoples Mental and Emotional Wellbeing Service : Katherine Street, Ashton 0161-330 9223 to book appointment or walk-in on Wednesdays between 4-8pm
- Shout crisis service – a 24/7 text service with trained crisis volunteers who will chat using trained techniques via text responses
- Kooth – an on-line counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people age 11-25
- Living Life to the Full is one of the world’s most used wellbeing support packages and aims to provide key information using everyday non-complex language
- BlueIce – an evidenced-based app to help young people manage their emotions and reduce urges to self-harm. This is only available on ‘prescription’ from a clinician working in child and adolescent mental health services.
- SilverCloud – an online therapy programme for adults proven to help with stress, anxiety, low-mood and depression.
- The Anthony Seddon Fund - The Talk Shop offer 1-2-1 couselling for children and young people age 9-19 on a Thursday evening. Contact 0161 376 4439 for an appointment.
- Minds Matter Tameside and Glossop - supporting people age 16+ across Tameside and Glossop struggling with low mood, isolation, stress, relationship issues and money worries. Call 0161 470 6100 or visit www.thebiglifegroup.com/mindsmatter. Join various free online workshops, access 1-2-1 counselling and get peer support from the Peer Support Team. Further information in the Download section below.
Tameside Women's Centre collection of support sources
There are a number of free courses available to support parents covering :
1. Understanding your pregnancy, labour, birth and your baby (antenatal)
2. Understanding your baby (postnatal)
3a. Understanding your child (0-19+ yrs, main course)
3b. Understanding your child with additional needs (0-19+ yrs, main course)
4. Understanding your teenager’s brain (short course)
5. Understanding your brain (for teenagers only!)
6. Understanding your child’s feelings (a taster course)
7. Understanding your child’s mental health and wellbeing (accompanies 3a and/or 3b)
8. Understanding your relationships
To access any of these courses go to www.inourplace.co.uk and enter the access code password SUNFLOWER in order to gain free access